Mission and Guiding Principles
The mission of The Benjamin School is to provide a challenging college preparatory education to a diverse student body in a structured, nurturing community environment. The School motivates students to master the skills of learning, communicating and evaluating choices, and encourages them to grow intellectually, socially, morally, aesthetically, and physically to their fullest individual potential.
Benjamin inspires its students to develop a coherent set of values that includes love of learning, personal responsibility, self-motivation, concern for others and a commitment to serve society.
The Benjamin School's mission is supported by the following Guiding Principles:
- Our primary responsibility is to address our students' academic needs while developing and supporting their interest in and passion for the arts, athletics, and community service.
- We strive for excellence in everything we do at The Benjamin School so that our students are well prepared for college and beyond.
- We acknowledge and celebrate the individual set of strengths demonstrated by each student.
- We expect all members of our community to adhere to the highest standards of personal conduct, honesty and accountability.
- We are committed to the importance of all aspects of diversity among our constituencies.
- Our ten character traits constitute the core values to which we subscribe both on- and off-campus: Respect, Courage, Morality, Kindness, Fairness, Integrity, Compassion, Acceptance, Forgiveness, and Responsibility.
- We depend on a respectful and collaborative partnership between school and home.
- We set high standards and advocate for each student to meet them. In so doing, we prepare our students to become independent, self-directed, collaborative and fearless learners.
- Guided by proven research and best practices, we encourage creativity and innovation throughout the school in order to meet the emerging needs of our students.
- We must prepare the students for their future and not our past. 1
- We take pride in our students, our faculty, and our reputation. We believe that the best schools have the best people. Our success is founded on this philosophy.
1 Pink, Daniel, A Whole New Mind
"I will maintain my self-respect. I will not lie, cheat or steal nor tolerate anyone who does."
"I have neither given nor received unauthorized aid on this work."